That Parish has Six Commissions that oversee our hundreds of Ministries.
- Worship Commission
- Outreach & Evangelization Commission
- Partners in Faith Commission
- Faith Formation Commission
- Social Justice Commission
- Latino Ministry
WORSHIP COMMISSION: The Worship Commission meets once a month, August through June. We gather for prayer and reflection as we discern how to prepare liturgical celebrations. Members of the commission represent the various cultures within our parish so that our liturgies may unite everyone in our faith and celebrate our rich cultural diversity.
OUTREACH & EVANGELIZATIONCOMMISSION: This commission is comprised of members of ministries that invite new people into our parish community. We pray and reflect on how to offer hospitality, bring the Gospel to people who may not come to church, invite people to come to our parish, and seek new ways of helping everyone to come closer to Christ.
PARTNERS IN FAITH COMMISSION: This commission is comprised of ministries that while they operate at a national or even international level, they are also associated with St. Alphonsus at the local level. Therefore, they minister at St. Alphonsus, but they also have charters, rules, and obligations that go beyond the parish boundaries.
FAITH FORMATION COMMISSION: The Faith Formation Commission meets once a month, August through June. It is comprised of people with an interest in the education and formation of all members of our parish in the Catholic faith. The commission prays and reflects on various ways to bring a consistent approach to formation to all people in the parish and to ensure that all people in the parish are advancing in their personal and communal formation as disciples of Christ.
(*) While not actually a part of the structure of the parish, these organizations support or are served by the St. Alphonsus community.
SOCIAL JUSTICE COMMISSION: The Social Justice Commission studies, prays, and discerns how to educate, form, and transform the members of the parish regarding issues of social justice. This commission meets monthly from August through June.
LATINO MINISTRY: Latino Ministry coordinates, organizes, and supports all the ministry that occurs in the parish in the Spanish language. Also, this ministry collaborates with the Archdiocese and local agencies to offer support that our Spanish speaking sisters and brothers may need.
- V Encuentro/Evangelización (Evangelization): This group works closely with the Outreach & Evangelization Commission. The focus is to connect with the larger community and walk with them in the peripheries.
- Caballeros de Colon (Knights of Columbus): The Latino arm of the parish Knights meets together at full Council meetings, and works together with other parish Knights on projects such as pancake breakfasts, charitable fundraising events, etc.
- Kerigma (Weekend Choir): This mixed-voice ensemble rehearses Saturdays at 9 a.m. and Sunday’s at 11 a.m. in the Music Room, and sings weekly at the 12:30 Sunday Mass. They are the only Latino choir and also sing at all the special Masses and work very closely with the Choir Director. Repertoire is primarily in Spanish and comes from Latin American traditions.
- Grupo de Oración (Prayer Group): Spanish-language prayer group meets Thursday evenings after 6:30 pm Spanish Mass. They also lead a weekly rosary at people’s homes bringing an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
- Ministerio de Bautizo (Baptism): Sessions are dynamic gatherings which include simple evangelization, hospitality and welcome, as well as catechesis. They are an opportunity to welcome families into a deeper experience and practice of their faith.
- Ministerio de Deportes (Sports): This group offers the opportunity to families with their children to participate in indoor and outdoor sports throughout the year.
- Ministerio de Eucaristía (Eucharistic Minisisters): Coordinates the Latino Eucharist Ministry.
- Lectores (Readers): Readers proclaim the Word of God to the congregation at Spanish-language Masses. Training is once a year, usually in the fall. Assignments are to the Sunday Latino Mass or Holy Days.
- Ministerio Pastoral Familiar (Family): This ministry coordinates the Latino couples that are in preparation for marriage.
- Ministerio de Seguirdad (Security): Coordinates security during the 12:30 Spanish Mass as well as coordinating security for special Latino Masses and events throughout the year.
- Hospitalidad (Hospitality): Coordinates the Ushers for the 12:30 Latino Mass and helps with organizing the ushers for special Masses.
- Monaguillos (Altar Servers): Coordinates the altar servers for the 12:30 pm Mass on Sunday and special Masses.
- Coro de Grupo de Oración (Thursday Prayer Group Choir): This mixed-voice ensemble rehearses in conjunction with the Thursday evening Spanish-language prayer group, and sings each week at the 6:30 pm Thursday Spanish Mass.
- Ministerio de Decoración (Decoration): This ministry provides decoration of the sanctuary, common areas, or hall for events such as Guadalupe Feast, Posadas, Latino Rosary, etc.